Saturday, August 27, 2005

Does Islam sponsor "terrorism" ?

Many of my friends had asked me why Islam is alleged of supporting terrorism, and its recalcitrant attitude in the present world even though people around my friends are not exactly what the western countries have been portraying. They have asked me on numerous occasions about their doubts and every time i try my best to clear it. I thought why not I put a general view of Islam on my blog so that its easy for my friends to comprehend.

Being a muslim, its really distressing for me to see the various ways in which the Islam is being portrayed in the present world. The muslims are look upon with contempt and "feared" in many parts of the world. I, with the very little knowledge I have, will try to clear any doubts that you might have it in ur mind, for its my utmost responsibilty to do that.

Today Islam is being treated synonymous with terrorism. What does Islam say?. Islam means peace, yes, it literally means peace. It is derived from the word salaam, which is peace. So when we say "Asalamallaikum" in arabic, what me are saying is "let peace be upon you" translated in english. Now you tell me friends, is there a better way to wish someone than wishing him peace. Better than any wishes we can think of. We call our God as Allah, Allah is the God of muslims. Well, again the meaning of Allah is "The God". Yup, Allah means God in arabic. Its not a name of the God , but its literally "God". Al = the Lah =God. Now what ambiguity can arise from this. Isnt this the most neutral aspect?

I tell you, Islam prohibits fighting severly. Yes, it does and i can quote many verses from the Holy Quran as proofs. Now, why there are sooo many things going around dealing with the so called "Islamic terrorism" where muslims are considered belligerent. As far as i know, in Islam fighting is very strictly prohibited expect when a probelm arises to the Islam itself. Yes, when a muslim is not able to do his duties to the religion, he is commanded to fight. And that too he is prohibited fighting in four months, can be breached only on the utmost necessity. Isnt this a breach of a secularism if a person is not allowed to follow his religion?. As most of u have heard there are five imperative duties bestowed upon a muslim, praying five time a day is one among them. One needs to be in a place where he can perform to do this. If he is prevented, as Americans did waging war during the month of fasting and prior to that, does any one have any choice. But ofcourse I can give many proofs that Bush and his counterparts' sole intention was not to capture Osama but the rich oil fields, again , lets not get into that.

Problem happens when people read the Holy Quran literally. So the hardliners when they interpret Quran they would always find this present world contradicting to the prescribed mode of living. I tell you some of the things are prohibited to us. First, pork meat. I can give umpteen number of examples why pork is harfmul to our health but lets not go into it. Second one is usury. The worst from of dwindlig a man's livelyhood. And it forms the crux of the western banking system, albeit in a milder way. Thirdly, exploitation of women. We turn to the tv today, we see women beiong exploted unnecessarily. Freedom of expression is one thing but can you watch a hindi channel now with your parents around. You throw money and (most)women will do anything. Does it sound chord with someother thing?. Doesnt a woman need self respect. Is she always have to portrayed as a trade doll. What does a woman mean in a cricket match commentating or a watch ad! Sleazy movies, songs only pollute the minds of the people. Having said that, it is generally held in misconception that Islam suppresses woman's right. NO!, it doesnt. Infact as far as i know, woman enjoy every right in decision making, ownership rights, wills, business and commerce. Only thing, they have to be modest. We will always like to see women in sleazy clothes but if its our own sister or mother, would we allow it?, the one thing Islam hates is hypocrisy.

I can give many more clarifications but the blog ud not be sufficient. In my humble opinion, as far as I know, Islam is very tolerant and strictly avoids any fighting. We are prohibited from lying, we are prohibited from touching( you know what i mean!) other woman than our wife, we are prohibited in putting interest on money while payback, we are prohibited to have liquor as it imbalances a soul,we are ordered to be on fast for a month to practice self-denial, and so many things. All these only adds value to the human life. I dun see any thing wrong with Islam. Infact seeing its attributes I am proud of it that i belong to it. So as the few elemets try to portray it, Islam doesnt sponsor any kind of terrorism. Its only an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. What u do is what u get back.

I would say Islam has been a scapegoat for the western politics. Bush waged war on Iraq to caputure the Weapons of mass destruction(WMD) but we get the news time in and time again that there was not even an iota of proof available to Bush. In my opinion, he wanted to do where his father has failed, George Bush senior. GB Sr tried invading Iraq but it was futile. I would not take the side of Saddam Husseien coz he is no good than bush. But why do you use religion for ur personal use. Americans are always known to kindle the cradle. They talk abt liasing peace between India and pakistan, but they sell f-4 figter jets to pakistan and submarines to India. For me, Bush is just a downright hypocrite. So please do not lend your ears to what this man has to say, and also to the fundamentalists and the hardliners.

I know this is a very contentious issue, I would appreciate any comments or clarifications on whatever u have in ur mind abt this blog. I would try my level best to give you a most suitable reply. I have written this blog from the most neutral point of view and I need not mean to hurt any one. If inadvertently i have done that, please forgive me because Islam doesnt allow that too.

No comments: