Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Renaissance...

"The only time you must not fail is the last time you try"(I have no idea who said this is...read in a book!)

I have always wanted to be an MBA...as most of you who are regular to my blog will know. Since my second year I have worked hard to earn that, and it didn't happen the first time. I didnt make it at CAT 2004. After that, eigth sem came, I was so engrossed with the project. And the college got over and I was trying for some jobs at suitable organizations. Even when I was doing all these things, my mind has always been with MBA only. Now I got an offer, I was thinking how to spend my time in a useful way. I have already bought the CAT form for 2005, I want to take another shot.

But you know people, I am bit rusty now. I am not the same when I was in my seventh sem, my peak. But yet, there is this desire burning in my heart to go for it. I tried reading at home, didnt go well so far. Lagging way behind in wordlists, my aptitude has gone really bad(Even though I have never failed in any aptitude tests in any inteviews so far...)...I think my CAT form has gone down. But something happened today has turned everything.

I am currently undergoing selection process at aptech e-learning services which none of you would have known(pay scale is really good...). I thought its not such a big deal so I didnt tell this to anyone. Anyway, I cleared couple of rounds and today I was called for a group discussion. There, there was this HR lady who told today is not GD but we called u up to let u people know how the GD will be and the further selection process. She asked if any of us had sat for a GD before. I and few others shook the hand. Then unexpectedly, she asked me to whether I can share what i know with others. It was like...old college days, the days I used to give extempores on various topics before you all. I was indeed very happy. I tell you, I never felt that comfortable in any interview, save TCS. At first I was a bit rusty, no practise...but as I went on I got tuned. And after I finished, I got a good applause and the HR appreciated. She said she has nothing to add coz I have told everything clearly.

At that time I knew it, I cannot be anything other than an MBA. I always want to get connected with people, I want to talk before crowds, I want to make presentations, I want to teach, I want to lead, I want to be responsible and above all, I want to learn more. Now it does not matter to me what I will be in the short term, a software engineer in a reputed company or some other unexpected job which may come, I know now where I want to end up...right at the top. And with this, and only 95 days to go for the CAT I start from square one. I went to Ims, my ex-coaching centre to enroll in simcat series. My course which I did last year was CAT catapult..a full length course spanned over 13 months...I paid 15000 rs for that. But I know I cannot afford to pay that much now. But, by His grace and only by His grace, they offered 50% off for ex-class room students. The 8 month regular course which is a 3 month fast track course which costs 11000...they offered me for 5500 rupees.

This was indeed a great news for me. Now I can enrol for the regualar full length course in the weekdays. And now, I will try to put much effort than what I did last time around. I didn't get through last time, I may or may not get through this time. But with His help I will definitely get thru some day. May be I will do my MBA at a much bigger institute than IIMs. The quote which is at the start for this post, I think, I most suited for this occasion. I just want to share with u all that, if you have the desire and faith to do your job sincerely you will definitely get help from all means. And rightly, as I have learned in the past two months after college, "luck happens when preparation meets opportunity"

When I was at college, there was onus on me to perform in both academics and CAT. I wasn't at any job so it was a must-do situation for me. But now its completely different for me. Now I have an offer, I feel secure. I am free now with no commitments. And above all I am relaxed. I am much confident now. And its definitely not a must-do now...may be a want-to-do situation. I belive, this mindset of mine would help me to achieve what more than what I did last year.

I cannot measure how much I owe to Anitha for her help when I was really poor in talking in english. She gave me tips on how to present for my first paper presentation. For me Anitha has been the biggest inspiration when it comes to presentation. Thank you so much Anitha for helping me knowingly and unknowingly. And , those who have prayed forme last time for me to get in to CAT, comtinue the prayers...
"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never have tried to succeed."
(This one, I think its FD Roosevolt(Ex-US president).

No comments: