Sunday, March 01, 2009

Lift Karade


Sometimes...well many times I wonder "WHATS UP WITH PEOPLE!!!!." Why you may ask, and let me tell you.
My desk is in the 8th floor of my office building, and being a lazy bum (and a sane person), I use lift to reach to my floor. There are 6 lifts on the ground floor, all neatly maintained and robust (thanks CBRE!).
There is a button at the front for you to press to make the lift come to your floor. A nice small square button with an arrow emboldened in an appropriate direction. Once you press that button, it lightens up until the lift reaches your floor. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out in more than couple of attempts, unless you are a Jonny Bravo, a Joey Tribiani or a Micheal Kelso.
I know people, who have been coming here for months, if not years, keep pressing the button again and again even though the lift button is on, and knowing this concept. And I wonder "WHATS UP WITH PEOPLE!!!!"
May be it is the sheer expectation of a miracle, that if they press the button hard enough for many times, the lift could skip the intermediate floors and come immediately when summoned. Or it could be the arrogance of those people, who want to have everything when they want at any cost. Or it could just be the sheer frustration in the morning where they have to go for a job which they really don't like and which really doesn't pay well. Or it could be some urgent pressing matter which could not wait even for a second (urinal comes to my mind, there is none on the ground floor). Or they could be just dumb.
I am no saint, for I have found myself a few times pressing the button again and again. When I do that, I consciously try to find why I did that. What made me to do that? And this insight has helped me to understand many of my problems swiftly, and of late I find myself not doing this nonsensical stuff.
May be you can find some soul-searching tool at your workplace too. Till then, slog it out!

No comments: